The Destiny Orientations and Spiritual Gifts
Note: For the most accurate results in the Destiny Assessment, it’s best to do the assessment before you read this article.
The Ministry Gift/Destiny Orientation Assessment
The Ministry Gift/Destiny Orientation Assessment reveals your primary and secondary Ministry Gifts, also know as your Destiny Orientation (D.O.).
- This is the first dimension of your spiritual gift-mix and flows out of your unique, God-given design.
- This orientation is at the core of who you are and how you function.
- It’s how you “do” life, how you interact with the world around you. It describes how you relate to your outer world; your relationships, your job, your ministry and more.
Based on Ephesians 4
Your Destiny Orientation (D.O.) is based on the gifts listed by the apostle Paul in the letter to the Ephesians which were given to the church at the time of Christ’s ascension. This passage outlines the gifts that are often called the five-fold ministries. It says, “And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers.” (Eph. 4:11)
- These gifts or offices were given “for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ,” Eph. 4:12, and continue “until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.” (Eph. 4: 13)
- Each gift represents an aspect of the ministry of Jesus. He functioned apostolically and as the leader of the apostles. He was a prophet, He was the first evangelist, He was the Good Shepherd or pastor, and He certainly was a teacher.
- These gifts were given to “equip the saints” (Christians) to be able to serve in one of the five aspects.
We’ve chosen to use our own terms for the orientations that capture the heart and basic meaning:
- “Builder” for Apostle
- “Revealer” for Prophet
- “Recruiter” for Evangelist
- “Connector” for Pastor
- “Trainer” for Teacher
Orientation not Office
Rather than viewing the gifts as offices, we define them broadly, using the term “orientation.” For example, in the prophetic orientation, we include not just the gift of prophecy/office of the prophet, but discernment, worship, arts, music, prayer, intercession, quality focus and more. This provides a more holistic approach to the prophetic orientation with wider boundaries.
- This same approach for each of the five areas provides the fullness of the colors in the spectrum of Jesus’ ministry. He operated and functioned in each area of ministry and you are designed to receive the equipping influence of each of the gifts that He walked in. Although a few individuals will function equally in all five gifts/orientations, most of us will resonate primarily with one of these gifts more than the others.
- Relatively few people will hold a formal office or position of apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor or teacher. But we believe that everyone has a primary orientation based on one of these gifts and is equipped to function according to that orientation to accomplish the works that God has prepared for him or her.
- These orientations are bigger than ministry titles and roles in a church. For example, if Mary has a pastoral orientation she might function as a nurse taking care of patients, ministering to them spiritually, socially and emotionally, in addition to medically. If John has the same orientation he might be an accountant who pastors his co-workers by spending time with them apart from work, interacting with them spiritually, socially and emotionally, without ever preaching a sermon.
As you understand your destiny orientation you will be able to grow in the use of your gift and have much greater impact. It’s how you are designed!