We all face the same obstacles and ask ourselves the same hard questions when going after our dreams.
- Will there be enough money?
- What if I fail?
- How am I supposed to get there?
- Is God really good?
- Does He really have a plan and purpose for my life?
When we say negative things about ourselves and believe that we don’t have what it takes to succeed in life, we actually disempower ourselves in respect to our destiny.
When we doubt that God will provide for our needs, we inadvertently work against God’s provision in our lives. And we are demonstrating a lack of trust in His character as a good God. When we question God’s commitment to defend and protect us, we set ourselves up for greater vulnerability. What we choose to believe directly affects what we receive. It is vital that we train ourselves to think only what God thinks and to say what God says. From this foundation, we are empowered to do what God does.
Medical science has now proven that when we harbor negative thoughts, they actually affect and change our brain chemistry, negatively impacting not only our emotional and physical health, but actually making it harder for our brains to solve problems. Conversely, when you are more positive, it galvanizes your brain to solve problems and move you forward.
So the real question is what are we going to choose to believe?
We can choose to believe the fears that come up, the lies that the enemy throws us, the feelings inside of us that are screaming at the unknown, or we can choose to believe that God was actually telling us the truth when He said that He is able to do exceedingly above all we can ask or think.
Character and personality strengths are key components in our ability to fulfill our destiny. So how do we start making choices today to build that character and personality we need for our destiny? Here are several practical steps that you can start implementing that if done everyday will move you toward that life that you’ve always been dreaming about.
- Pick one area of your life that needs work, find out what God says about it in His Word, and in prayer, and begin to speak His truth over it everyday.
- Eliminate negative thoughts. Kill them by renouncing them, repenting of them, and exercising your authority as a child of God. “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Cor. 10:5. Notice it says, “we take captive” – you are to be the master over your thoughts, not your body or your circumstances.
- Take risks. Begin to retrain your thought life to what God says about you by stepping out like you actually believe it, trusting that God will provide.